Home | About | Pre WWI | WWI | WWII | Korea | Vietnam | Post Vietnam | Non Wartime | Wounded | Decorated | Contact Us | Search

Dee Loveless

Ballplayers Wounded in Combat


Date and Place of Birth: March 24, 1918 Lewis County, TN
Date and Place of Death:    November 7, 2009 Columbia, TN
Baseball Experience: Minor League
Position: Third Base
Rank: Corporal
Military Unit:  112th Cavalry Regiment US Army
Area Served: Pacific Theater of Operations

Ferrell Deason “Dee” Loveless, the son of W. H. and Mavis Loveless, was born on March 24, 1918, in Lewis County, Tennessee. He attended Lewis County High School, where he excelled in football and basketball, while playing American Legion baseball. Loveless was quarterback and captain of the football team his senior year, and no opponent scored on them the entire season. Loveless signed, and played only briefly due to a sore arm, with the Owensboro Oilers of the Class D Kitty League in 1937. He had been playing on the sandlots of Nashville, when he returned to minor league baseball in 1939, appearing in five games with the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Class A1 Southern Association. In 1940, he was with the Thomasville Tourists of the Class D Georgia-Floria League, playing 127 games and batting .281. He was with the Selma Cloverleafs of the Class B Southeastern League in 1941, and played 136 games at third base, batting .277.

Loveless entered military service on January 14, 1942. He served with the 112th Cavalry Regiment in the Southwest Pacific, and was wounded in the arm and neck at New Britain, on January 4, 1944. He returned home with a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, but his hopes of playing professional baseball were at an end.

Loveless worked as an electrician for the Monsanto Chemical Company, and played baseball for the Monsanto Chemical Maulers for 12 years. He managed the team in 1953 and 1954, leading them to a National Baseball Congress eighth-place ranking both years. For 42 years, he was a member of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA), having been a charter member of the organization. He officiated football, basketball, baseball and softball games, and was recognized as the “dean of TSSAA football officials in the mid-state.”

Dee Loveless passed away peacefully at his home in Columbia, Tennessee, on November 7, 2009, following a brief illness. He was 91 years old and is buried at Polk Memorial Gardens in Columbia.

Date Added February 2, 2018

Can you add more information to this biography and help make it the best online resource for this player? Contact us by email

Read Baseball's Greatest Sacrifice Through The Years - an online year-by-year account of military related deaths of ballplayers

Baseball's Greatest Sacrifice is associated with Baseball Almanac

Baseball's Greatest Sacrifice is proud to be sponsored by

Big League Chew